Climate Week NYC 2020 Calls on the Global Community to Take Climate Action
June 13 2020, New York City – With 100 days to go until the biggest climate event of 2020, today Climate Week NYC launches registration for organizations, communities, and individuals to be part of the official events program. Taking place September 21-27, Climate Week NYC 2020 is the time and place for the world to come together and drive momentum for action.
To accommodate the challenges and uncertainties presented by COVID-19 and the international travel bans in place, The Climate Group will host key elements of the Climate Week NYC events on a digital platform to be broadcast globally. In 2020 the events program will comprise of digital events from around the world as well as physical events in New York City where possible.
Adam Lake, Head of Climate Week NYC, said: “Climate change isn’t a single issue, it is something that touches every part of our lives. That is why the events program represents the beating heart of Climate Week NYC, bringing together a diverse range of hundreds of events hosted by New Yorkers, for New Yorkers and now, the global community. As we look ahead and ask ourselves how we can build a better future that leaves no-one behind, it is our mission to create a platform where every voice is heard. Through supporting digital events as part of the program this year, we hope to make it as easy as possible for everyone to be a part of the conversation and part of the change that needs to happen.”
As we shift the focus to green recovery and building a better future through a just transition, Climate Week NYC aims to engage more New Yorkers and the wider global audience to address environmental justice, youth activism, jobs and the economy, and climate impacts and adaptation.
How to take action:
- Host an event: Organizations can become an event host to encourage climate action. From panels to art shows, seminars to exhibitions, the entire New York City (and now global) community can be involved in showcasing the unstoppable momentum of global climate action. To become an official part of Climate Week NYC, register your event here.
- Join our community: For the third year, local New York City businesses can be a part of Climate Week NYC by registering to be a part of the ‘Climate Action is Our Business’ campaign. This initiative brings together the local business community to showcase the sustainable steps business are taking to address the climate crisis.
- Attend an event: Last year, Climate Week NYC was host to over 350 events. Diverse events range from comedy shows, panel discussions, ballet, art exhibits, and city tours. A full events program will be published in July and updated throughout the summer.
Climate Week NYC events will be categorized into ten thematic areas:
- Clean Energy Transition
- Transport and Infrastructure
- Industry and Built Environment
- Finance, Investment and Jobs
- Food and Land Use
- Nature and Science
- US and International Policy
- Youth, Public Mobilization and Justice
- Sustainable Travel and Tourism
- Climate Impacts and Adaptation
Hosted in association with the United Nations and the City of New York, Climate Week NYC is one of the few international climate events going ahead this year, which makes it even more critical to involve the global community.
As the world focuses on how we build a better future, Climate Week NYC 2020 will explore what lessons we can learn in our pursuit of a net zero future that leaves no one behind.
Notes to Editors
Please find the link to download accompanying hi-res images and graphics.
Media registration for the Opening Ceremony is now open. Separate media registration for The Hub Live will open shortly. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
For all other media enquiries, including interview requests, please contact:
- North America/US Communications: Ming Liu, email@example.com
- Global Communications: Katie Rogers, firstname.lastname@example.org
About Climate Week NYC
Climate Week NYC is the time and place where the world gathers to showcase amazing climate action and discuss how to do more. Run by The Climate Group, in association with the United Nations and the City of New York, Climate Week NYC annually brings together voices from across the spectrum to debate and implement climate action now.